Practices are vital to the Dragon Boat experience. Practice time will help your team become familiar with the boat and learn the technique, as well as master timing. The more team members showing for practice, the better your team performs on race day. Each team gets to practice at the McFarland Park beach area with trained coaches the week prior to race day. Practice time requests will be filled on a first come, first served basis depending on the order of team registration.
What to Wear:
- You WILL get wet. Wear appropriate clothing.
- Comfortable, quick drying shorts and dri-fit shirts are most convenient
- Sport sandals, or water shoes are recommended such as Tevas, Crocs, etc. (Tennis shoes are too heavy).
- Life vests will be provided
- Hat or visor to keep the sun out of your eyes.
- Sunscreen/ sunglasses
- In case of rain, bring rain gear
- Consider bringing a towel and extra change of clothes
Each team will race at least two times on race day. You will get a race schedule at the mandatory team captain meeting showing what time your team races in the first heat. After the first heat, all teams will be seeded according to their race times for the second heat. After both heats, the top teams with the best overall times (based on average of two races) will race for the championship. The best times from the final races will determine the winners.
Every paddler and drummer must sign a waiver. You will NOT be allowed to participate without a signed waiver. Participants under 18 must have parent/guardian sign their waiver.
What to Bring
- Each team will have a space in the Athlete’s Village labeled with your company/team name. You may bring (1) 10×10 tent.
- Chairs, tables, decorations, snacks, footballs, sunscreen, hat, garbage bag for your tent area, towels, comfortable shoes, change of clothes if you do not want to be wet all day.
- Food vendors will be available to purchase lunch and drinks. Or you may bring your own picnic lunch for your team.
What NOT to bring
Alcohol. It would severely dehydrate you and make paddling dangerous. Plus it is not allowed in the park.
The Shoals Dragon Boat Festival Rules & Regulations
- Waivers: Every team member must submit a Race Management Dragon Boat Festival waiver form before getting onto a boat. Each team member agrees to waive any claims against Dynamic Dragon Boat Racing LLC and Shoals Scholar Dollars and the City of Florence Park and Recreation Department that may arise from personal injury or death or damage to personal property caused by participation in Dragon Boat practices or races. It is the responsibility of the Team Captain to return signed waiver forms to Shoals Scholar Dollars prior to Team’s first practice.
- Fulfillment of Contract: Race is a rain or shine event; however, should the event be canceled for any reason except natural acts of God, Shoals Scholar Dollars will refund only monies received from Team which will release Shoals Scholars Dollars from any claims or damage from the Team.
- Team Sponsorship: Shoals Scholar Dollars retains all rights to advertising, sponsorship and commercial representation for the event. Shoals Scholar Dollars is under no obligation to individual Team sponsors, and may refuse any commercial representation. Shoals Scholar Dollars will not be responsible for any team’s representation of their organization. Organizations responsible for the Team and/or its sponsor(s) shall be limited to: a) clothing such as team uniforms (t-shirts, sweat suits, hats, headbands, athletic bags); b) one team sign to be placed on Team’s personal tent (not to exceed 10×10); c) other items deemed appropriate by Shoals Scholar Dollars.
- Race Conduct: All team members agree to follow the race conduct rules set forth in team captain materials by Shoals Scholar Dollars and Dynamic Dragon Boat Racing.
- Paddlers and Alternates: Teams may race with anyone age 15 and up. Only three (3) alternates are allowed per team. Using additional alternates will cause your team to forfeit. Each co-ed team must race with a minimum of eight (8) women paddlers. Your team will receive a time penalty of three (3) seconds for every female your team is short. The only exception to this rule – leave the seat empty for every female required. The drummer must weigh 160 pounds or less. If 3 or more all female and/or all male teams register, we will do additional awards for them.
- Sound Devices: Devices including radios, electronic signaling devices, bullhorns, air horns, whistles, generators with a decibel rating over 65dBA and other noisemaking devices are prohibited. The drummer can only use provided drumsticks and their voices to direct team members.
- Right to Likeness: Shoals Scholar Dollars has the right to use your likeness in any video, newsprint, or other media to promote the race.
- Equipment: Team will be provided access to one dragon boat, paddles, life flotation devices and one coach/steersperson for one practice prior to race day and on race day. Teams may use only race equipment provided by management.
- Storage: Teams shall take full responsibility for any and all personal belongings and other material left in the team area. Shoals Scholar Dollars and City of Florence Park and Rec Dept. is not responsible for lost, stolen, or damaged articles. Team Space Removal: Team agrees to completely dismantle and remove all tents, tables, material and decorations from their team space. Team also agrees to return space back to the same condition it was received by the team by 7 p.m. on the day of the race.
- Alabama Law: This agreement shall be governed by and be construed according to the laws of the State of Alabama.
- Attorney’s Fees: Team agrees that if any legal action is taken to enforce any of the above regulations the prevailing party shall be entitled to reimbursement of reasonable attorney’s fees.